Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Real

"Real isn't how you're made," said the Skin-Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin-Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit-by-bit?"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin-Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
----"The Velveteen Rabbit" - Margery Williams

This exerpt from the Velveteen Rabbit was given to me a long time ago by a good friend of mine, who spoke often of being Real and of enjoying life and of loving other people. She always lives each day to its absolute fullest. She always notices the good in everything and everyone, no matter what it is or who they are. She cares deeply about people, and about what is important in her life, and for that reason, she is Real to me in my life. She has shown me how important it is to see sunshine in everything, no matter how badly your day has gone. How to see that there is color in everything, no matter how grey the sky may look. How to look for the one rose blooming amongst a path full of weeds. How to smile, even if you're down. I pull this poem out and read it every so often, and am reminded of all of the beauty in my life, and I just wanted to share this exerpt with everyone who might happen to be reading this today or sometime in the future, months from now. (Who knows, right?)


To bring out the best in this saying, and to show what is Real to me, and in my life, I took some photos of my favorite things - things which I love and cherish every day!. Hope you all have a great day! (And Knit on!)



Beautiful succulents growing on my porch....











My daughter when she's happy....
















Sundara's yarn.....















My mom, who looks happier than I've seen her in years (with her new husband)....




















My neices and nephews.......


















Abby, my schnauzer, for putting up with all the silly outfits I make her wear.....















Did I mention Sundara's yarn? (This happens to be the first shipment from the Petals Sock Club, which just arrived yesterday!)














Johnny Depp (oo la la)





















My nephew, Mason, wearing one of the first hats I knit him....















My loverly cat, Snuggles, who never fails to entertain.....














Spider plants.....














The joy I expressed when I received the Pallette yarn from Knit Picks last year...


















Spending time with my husband (this is actually one of my most favorite things!)














Blue Moon STR yarn. This stuff really rocks!















The Nebraska Cornhuskers, because it just doesn't get any better than this!













Brownies (for those of you who know me, you know that brownies are my absolute favorite food!)












The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series....














And, last but not least, I'm not sure if I mentioned Sundara's Yarn....this Cala Lilly is just gorgeous!


5 comments:

gray la gran said...

i know we're all yarn-ho's here, but .....johnny depp ! ... i'm gasping !

Wool Girl said...

Johnny is awesome! He's my all time favorite!

NeuroKnitter said...

Lovely post WG!! I love the velveteen rabbit...sniff,sniff. And Johnny Depp...no disagreement there, hee-hee!! Knit on!!

Neuroknitter said...

Great happy post! We should all take a second now and then to appreciate little things like new yarn, plants, books. And ridiculously hot things (in a sexy greasy sort of way) like Johnny Dep. Yum.

Anonymous said...

It gave me chills to hear this passage read by Shannon's uncle on Saturday afternoon at her wedding, especially after having read this post earlier that morning.
Very sweet. I had hoped some of the rest of you We-Heart-Yarners would have been out this way, too, so we could all have a good knitting session.
Nice to be at a wedding where it would be perfectly socially acceptable to pull out your knitting project. porch.